Auto manufacturers have made tremendous progress in fuel efficiency in response to increasingly stringent environmental standards and demand from customers for better mileage. This hasn’t only resulted in the development of all-electric vehicles like the Tesla Model S, Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf and Kia Soul EV, but also the popularization of hybrid versions of heritage vehicles like the Ford Fusion, Toyota RAV4 and Volvo XC90. Nowadays, nearly every major car maker produces at least one hybrid or plug-in electricnbsp;version.
Whether you are environmentally aware or simply want to save on gas, Natural Resources Canada conducts a research annually to identify the in each segment. The research measures best-in-class vehicles which have the lowest combined fuel-consumption rating, according to 55-per-cent town and 45-per-cent highwaynbsp;driving.
Here are some of Canada’s most fuel-efficient vehicles and their joint fuelnbsp;ingestion:
- Subcompact: Fiat 500 Hatchback — 1.4-litre four-cylinder, five-speed manual (7.0 litres/100nbsp;kilometers)
- Reasonable: Toyota Prius C — 1.5-litre four-cylinder hybrid, continuously variable transmission (5.1 litres/100nbsp;kilometers)
- Mid-size: Toyota Prius — 1.8-litre four-cylinder hybrid, CVT (4.5 litre/100nbsp;kilometers)
- Full-size: Hyundai IONIQ Blue — 1.6-litre four-cylinder hybrid, six-speed automatic manual (4.1 litres/100nbsp;kilometers)
- Small pickup: Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon — 2.8-litre four-cylinder diesel, six-speed automatic (9.5 litres/100nbsp;kilometers)
- Full-size pickup: Ford F-150 — 2.7-litre six-cylinder, six-speed automatic with pick change (10.9 litres/100nbsp;kilometers)
- Small SUV: Toyota RAV4 Hybrid AWD — 2.5-litre four-cylinder hybrid, CVT (7.3 litres/100nbsp;kilometers)
- Mid-size SUV: Lexus RX 450h AWD — 3.5-litre six-cylinder hybrid, CVT (7.9 litres/100nbsp;kilometers)
- Minivan: Mazda5 — 2.5-litre four-cylinder, five-speed automatic with pick change (9.6 litres/100nbsp;kilometers)
We have featured some of our favorite offers this week on the most fuel-efficient vehicles. If you do not find one that suits you, be sure to check out the brand new To see the most recent incentives and discounts on any new car, truck ornbsp;SUV.
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Hybridnbsp;Blue
The Hyundai IONIQ is among the most fuel efficient-vehicles on the street today. Its 1.6-litre four-cylinder engine combined with a 32 kW electric motor and a 1.56 kW lithium-ion polymer high-voltage battery sips a joint 4.1 litres/100 km, depending on the trim, while outputting a commendable 118 horsepower and 218 lb-ft ofnbsp;torque.
Standard features include heated front seats, automatic climate control, a seven-inch touchscreen infotainment program with Apple CarPlay and Android automobile connectivity, a rearview camera, six-speaker sound system, dual-zone climate control and a 4.2-inch display in the instrument cluster. The IONIQ also features regenerative braking and lively grille-shutting technology that help maximize fuel economy. The technology package on the Limited trim provides premium features like bi-Xenon HID headlamps with active cornering capacity to enhance visibility around turns, an eight-inch touchscreen infotainment screen, a seven-inch tool panel screen and an eight-speaker audionbsp;system.
- MSRP: $24,299
- Manufacturer money incentive:nbsp;$750
- Estimated dealer discount:nbsp;$250
- Freight, PDI, government fees:nbsp;$1,845
- Money purchase price before tax:nbsp;$25,144
- Finance for 84 weeks at zero-per-cent interest for $338, including a $750 manufacturer incentive and assumes zero downnbsp;payment.
- Lease for 48 weeks at 2.99 percent interest for $445 per month including tax and presumes a 20,000 yearly kilometre allowance and zero downnbsp;payment.
2017 Lexus RXnbsp;450h
The Lexus RX was the world’s first luxury hybrid vehicle and is Lexus’s most successful. The 2017 RX 450h outputs 295 horsepower and 267 lb-ft of torque using a 3.5-litre V-6 Atkinson cycle hybrid and regular all-wheel drive. Standard features include perforated leather seats, dual-zone climate control with air recirculation control, heated seats and a heated wood steering wheel. Additionally, it comes with a 12.3-inch infotainment display using a backup camera and voice-activated navigation, a 4.2-inch multi-information screen in the instrument panel and a 12-speaker Lexus premium audionbsp;system.
On its exterior, the RX 450h features premium automated LED headlamps with auto levelling and headlamp washers, in addition to touch-sensor lock/unlock technologies on all doors. Lexus’s Safety System Plus provides a precollision system, lane-departure alert, automatic high beam and lively radar cruisenbsp;controller.
- MSRP: $70,300
- Manufacturer money incentive: $4,000 (applied afternbsp;taxation)
- Estimated dealer discount:nbsp;$2,250
- Freight, PDI, government fees:nbsp;$2,185
- Money purchase price before tax:nbsp;$66,695
- Finance for 60 months at 2.9-per-cent interest for $1,387, including a $2,000 manufacturer incentive (applied after tax) and assumes zero downnbsp;payment.
- Lease for 48 weeks at 2.9-per-cent interest for $1,044 per month including taxation, including a $2,000 manufacturer incentive and presumes a 20,000 yearly kilometre allowance and zero downnbsp;payment.
2017 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Shortnbsp;Box
The diesel version of the popular Chevrolet Colorado absorbs a joint 9.5 litres/100 km without compromising on functionality. Its 2.8-litre Duramax turbo-diesel engine results 181 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque to make towing easy. The engine is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission with an available eight-speed for additionalnbsp;efficacy.
The Colorado features an eight-inch color touchscreen display with a rear-vision camera, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Chevrolet MyLink Bluetooth connectivity and built in 4G LTE with WiFi connectivity. Available active safety features include lane-departure caution and forward-collisionnbsp;alert.
- MSRP: $39,455
- Manufacturer money incentive:nbsp;$750
- Estimated dealer discount:nbsp;$1,500
- Freight, PDI, government fees:nbsp;$2,235
- Money purchase price before tax:nbsp;$39,440
- Finance for 60 months at zero-per-cent interest for $724, including a $1,750 manufacturer incentive and assumes zero downnbsp;payment.
- Lease for 48 weeks at 1.9-per-cent interest for $523 per month including taxation, including a $750 manufacturer incentive and presumes a 20,000 yearly kilometre allowance and zero downnbsp;payment.
2017 Fiat 500 Hatchbacknbsp;Lounge
The Fiat 500 is powered by a 1.4-litre lookup engine which provides 101 horsepower, 98 lb-ft of torque and combined fuel economy of 7.0 litres/100 km. The Abarth trim also comes with a turbocharger that boosts output to 160 horsepower and 170 lb-ft ofnbsp;torque.
Standard features across all trims include bi-halogen projector headlamps, a five-inch touchscreen infotainment system with hands-free Bluetooth connectivity and a digital vehicle information centre located in the instrument panel. The Lounge trimming features an Alpine premium sound system with SiriusXM satellite radio capability, heated front seats, a leather-wrapped steering wheel with mounted audio and cruise controls, automatic temperature control and a scenic glassnbsp;roof.
- MSRP: $24,245
- Manufacturer money incentive:nbsp;$3,000
- Estimated dealer discount:nbsp;$500
- Freight, PDI, government fees:nbsp;$1,935
- Money purchase price before tax:nbsp;$22,680
- Finance for 60 months at 4.19-per-cent interest for $537 manufacturer incentive and assumes zero downnbsp;payment.
- Lease for 48 weeks at 5.99-per-cent interest for $493 per month including taxation, including a $3,000 manufacturer incentive and presumes a 24,000 yearly kilometre allowance and zero downnbsp;payment.
Andrew Tai is CEO of . Follow him Twitter
Manufacturer prices and pricing calculations are based on Ontario clients and subject to availability of stock. Dealer discounts shown are estimates for illustrative purposes only, may vary by area and are awarded at the discretion of individual dealers. Please note that while every attempt is made to ensure the information above is accurate at the time of publication, pricing, discounts and incentives are subject to change or discontinuation at any time. Vehicle images may not represent the specific model featured in the pricing provided. Ask your local dealership fornbsp;details.
Shopping for a new car? Check out the brand new To see the hottest discounts, rebates and rates on new cars, trucks and SUVs. To acquire yournbsp;price.
Courtesy: The Globe And Mail